Covenant Royal Black Preceptory #346 was instituted on September 23, 1874. Meetings were held in the Ulster Hall at Dundas and Clarence Streets in London, Ontario (before 1922 to 1927) and at 388 Clarence Street (beginning January, 1928).
Boyne Loyal Orange Lodge #298 was originally founded in the village of Masonville (now an area in north London, Ontario) in 1844. A new warrant was issued on April 15, 1855, and the lodge moved its activities to London proper.
Meetings were held in many London locations throughout Boyne Lodge's history, including:
Edge Block - 402 ½ Richmond Street (up to Dec. 1898)
Albion Block - Richmond and Carling Streets (Jan. to Sept. 1899)
Duffield Block - 215 Dundas Street (Oct. 1899 to Jan. 1904)
Coote Block - 12 Market Lane (Feb. 1905 to Dec. 1907)
Sherwood Hall - 471 ½ Richmond Street (Jan. 1908 to Sept. 1909)
Grand Opera House Block - 473 Richmond Street (Oct. 1909 to Jan. 1914)
Orange Hall - Dundas Street at Market Lane (Feb. 1914 to Nov. 1923)
Ulster Hall - Dundas and Clarence Streets (Dec. 1923 to Dec. 1927)
Orange Hall - 388 Clarence Street (Feb. 1928 to Dec. 1940)
Due to declining membership, Boyne Loyal Orange Lodge #298 closed in December, 1940. The remaining members transferred to other London lodges.
The County Black Chapter of Middlesex was officially instituted on May 2, 1914; prior to this, Royal Black Preceptories from Elgin, Middlesex, and Oxford Counties shared administrative duties. The County Black Chapter of Middlesex organized nine Royal Black Preceptories in the Middlesex County area:
King David Royal Black Preceptory #158
Covenant Royal Black Preceptory #346
Pride of Middlesex Royal Black Preceptory #757
Inniskilling Royal Black Preceptory #834
Duke of York Royal Black Preceptory #914
King Solomon's Royal Black Preceptory #937
Langemarck Royal Black Preceptory #956
Tuscan Royal Black Preceptory #962
Derry Walls Royal Black Preceptory #1035
These nine preceptories reported to, and communicated through, the County Black Chapter.
The first known officers (1914) were:
Joseph Murray - County Preceptor
Henry Mahon - Deputy County Preceptor
Robert Aitken - Treasurer
The Royal Scarlet Chapter is the highest degree of the Orange Order, administrated separately from the primary lodges (Orange, Blue, and Royal Arch Purple). The Royal Scarlet Chapter District #1 London was formed in 1872. The Royal Scarlet Chapter District #1 falls under the jurisdiction of the County Orange Lodge of East Middlesex. Rather than travelling between lodges, like Royal Scarlet Chapters in other jurisdictions, District #1 always held monthly meetings at London's central Orange Hall.
The Royal Scarlet Chapter is the highest degree of the Orange Order, administrated separately from the primary lodges (Orange, Blue, and Royal Arch Purple). The Royal Scarlet Chapter District #3 East Middlesex was formed on February 14, 1865 with the cooperation of the Royal Scarlet Chapter District #1 London. The Royal Scarlet Chapter District #3 falls under the jurisdiction of the County Orange Lodge of East Middlesex. It held meetings at various lodges in the townships of Nissouri and Dorchester.
The County Orange Lodge of East Middlesex was officially incorporated on March 14, 1903, although records indicate that an East Middlesex County Lodge was operating before a warrant was officially issued. The County Orange Lodge of East Middlesex organized district lodges in the east Middlesex County area; all district lodges reported to, and communicated through, the County lodge. The County Orange Lodge of East Middlesex had jurisdiction over:
District #1 - London City
District #2 - London Township
District #3 - Nissouri, Dorchester and Westminster Townships (“Dorchester District”)
The earliest known officers (1903) were:
Joseph Murray - County Master
Mark Roberts - Deputy County Master
David Baskerville - Chaplain
George Wade - Treasurer
Samuel Woods - Recording Secretary
The County Orange Lodge of East Middlesex merged with the County Orange Lodge of West Middlesex in 1947.
The Loyal Orange Lodge District #1 London was officially incorporated on October 10, 1891, subsequent to the incorporation of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ontario West. Records indicate that the District #1 London lodge was operating under this name before the warrant was officially issued. District #1 London lodge organized local lodges in the London, Ontario area; all smaller lodges reported to, and communicated through, District #1 London lodge. District #1 London lodge was also responsible for conducting advanced degree meetings at the smaller local lodges.
The inaugural officers, as they appear on the 1891 warrant, were:
William Brodison - Worshipful Master
Thomas Johnston - Deputy Master
George Loney - Recording Secretary
Maurice Baldwin - Treasurer
Diamond Jubilee Ladies Orange Benevolent Association #762 was formed on May 26, 1927 with the assistance of two London, Ontario associations. Diamond Jubilee lodge met at the Parish Hall in Greenway, north-west of Parkhill, Ontario.
The inaugural officers were:
Lena Smith - Worshipful Mistress
Ethel Mellin - Deputy Mistress
Mabel Hutchinson - Recording Secretary
Marie Hodgins - Treasurer
No meetings were held between November, 1954 and January, 1957. Diamond Jubilee Loyal Orange Lodge #762 ceased operations sometime after 1958.
The Lucan #70 chapter of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was founded on March 30, 1871. The charter members were:
Edward Mara
Charles Frith Pashley
Daniel J. McCosh
Robert McLean
Henry Collins
William Bowey
A group of London, Ontario lawyers, educators, writers and poets created the Baconian Club for its members' 'literary and scientific improvement.' It is named to honour Sir Francis Bacon, the Elizabethan philosopher, scientist and writer. The first bi-monthly meeting was held on January 10, 1885, and the first annual banquet on May 8 of that year. In 1953, members stopped using their professional titles during club meetings; in the spirit of equality, all members' surnames are now prefaced simply by 'Baconian.'
The meetings of the Baconian Club consist mainly of readings and critiques. A short reading of not more than 10 minutes is critiqued on the basis of presentation only. The reading is followed by the opinion and the paper, intended to last for no more than 12 and 40 minutes respectively. Baconians critique the opinion and the longer paper on delivery and content. Members are scheduled to deliver these presentations, encouraged to speak on something with which they are not professionally familiar. Innovative thinking, constructive criticism, and joviality are stressed. Members gather twice yearly for banquets; a dinner is held in January, and a formal banquet is held in May.
Membership in the Baconian Club has been, to date, exclusively male. Membership is by invitation only, although interested guests may accompany Baconians to meetings and banquets. Generally speaking, the membership is comprised of no more than 50 Baconians at any one time.
Early meetings were held in various places, including the Knights of Pythias Hall on Richmond Street. Meetings were held for many years in the London Life building; meetings have recently been held at Chaucer's Pub on Carling Street.