Showing 690 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Egremont Independent Order of Odd Fellows #207 was originally instituted on July 25, 1877 in the village of Adelaide, Ontario. The inaugural officers were:
T.W. Evans - Noble Grand
J. Coulter - Vice Grand
Alfred Rogers - Recording Secretary
Edward Austen - Treasurer

Meetings were moved to the newly constructed Odd Fellows Hall in the nearby village of Kerwood in April, 1883. Jurisdictionally, Egremont Lodge was under the direction of London District #14. Egremont Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge ceased operations sometime after 1993.

Corporate body

The first meeting of Nilestown Lodge #345 A.F.&A.M. was held on March 7, 1876 in the hamlet of Nilestown, Ontario. The inaugural officers were:
James Campbell - Worshipful Master
James Armstrong - Senior Warden
William Craig - Junior Warden
W.S. Niles - Secretary
John Lee - Treasurer
Joseph Wilson - Senior Deacon
William Collins - Junior Deacon
Beginning later that same year, meetings were held at the Nilestown Masonic hall on Hamilton Road, just across the street from the current lodge building. A new building, the Nilestown Masonic Temple, was erected in 1957, and the adjacent Nilestown Masonic Memorial Park was dedicated in 1990. Three lodges currently hold meetings in the Nilestown Masonic Temple.

Corporate body

The Faculty came into brief existence in 1881, but was suspended by the Senate on June 19, 1885. It resumed permanent operations on October 15, 1895. It was re-named Faculty of Arts and Science in 1943. Abolished on July 1, 1968 and replaced by four faculties: Arts, Science, Music, and Social Science.

The Dean, Arts and Science became Vice-President, Arts and Science on July 1, 1965. Various Principals of Colleges reported to the Dean or Vice-President between 1950 and 1968 (University in 1950, Middlesex in 1960, Music in 1961, and Talbot in 1961). Effective July 1, 1965, the Dean, College of Science was established, reporting to the Vice-President.

Deans and Vice-President:

1919-1927: W. Sherwood Fox
1927-1947 K.P.R. Neville
1947-1952 H.R. Kingston [Principal, University College, 1950-1952]
1952-1963 Frank Stiling [Principal, University College, 1952-1961]
1963-1965 Mark Inman [Vice-President 1965-1968]

Labatt's Limited
Corporate body

In 1973, Labatt's Ontario Breweries, Labatt's Alberta Breweries, Labatt's Saskatchewan Breweries, and Labatt's Manitoba Breweries amalgamated in to Labatt's Limited. In 1979, Labatt's Limited amalgamated in to Labatt Brewing Company.

Corporate body

The Canadian Association for Repeal of the Abortion Law was founded in 1974, five years after the introduction of the newly revised Criminal Code, with the aim of securing the repeal of Section 251 regulating abortions in Canada. The organization subsequently changed its name to Canadian Abortion Rights Action League (CARAL). With headquarters in Toronto and a network of chapters across the country, CARAL is primarily a political action group, existing to apply pressure to all levels of government in an effort to change laws, to effect improvements in the delivery of health care to women and to fight for a basic right for all women.

Women of Distinction Award
Corporate body

The Women of Distinction Award was established by the London YWCA in 1984 to honour the outstanding achievements of women in local communities. The aims of the awards were to recognize women's achievements in business, community service, or the arts; raise funds for the YWCA; and raise the profile of the YWCA.

Womanpower, Inc.
Corporate body · 1974-1997

Womanpower was created in 1974 through the Outreach Programme of the Canada Employment and Immigration Commission to provide free career and vocational counselling services and resources for women in London and vicinity. Womanpower offered individual and group programs to assist women of all ages in the various stages of their lives, and presented workshops, seminars and inter-agency staff development sessions. Womanpower was dissolved in 1997.

Corporate body

An affiliated group of the Ontario Teachers' Federation (OTF), the Federation of Women Teacher's Associations of Ontario (FWTAO) was the professional organization representing two-thirds of all public elementary school teachers in Ontario. Formed in\expndtw-16 \expndtw0 1888 the FWTAO worked to end discrimination against and stereotyping of women teachers, and offered professional services to individual teachers. In 1998, the FWTAO merged with the Ontario Public School Men Teachers' Federation forming the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario.

Women's Workshop
Corporate body

Women's Workshop was established in 1974 in response to an expressed need by women in London for alternate learning opportunities. If offered non-credit workshops at The University of Western Ontario and Fanshawe College. At Fanshawe, Women's Workshop developed and implemented the Everywoman's Education Centre and launched the first certificate courses in Women's Studies in Ontario. In 1977, Women's Workshop began sponsoring its own education programs and a number of additional learning projects both within the city of London and throughout Southwestern Ontario. It was a non-profit organization designed to stimulate learning opportunities for women in London and Southwestern Ontario. An alternative to traditional educational programs, it was designed to create a community of women, to foster emotional and intellectual connectedness within and with other women, to build upon own experiences of life and work and to struggle with and seek answers to questions. Women's Workshop was dissolved in 1993.