Beaujot, Roderic
John Nagle, the son of Irish immigrants Thomas and Mary (née Bennett) Nagle, was born on May 22, 1855 in Ontario, Canada. John married Emma Clark (born 1860), youngest daughter of Joseph and Thurza (née Mines) Clark on October 22, 1884. John and Emma Nagle had five children:
Norman Russell Nagle (b. 1887)
Ada May Nagle (1889-1968)
Gordon Ivon Nagle (1891-1975)
Leslie Maurice Nagle (1893-1925)
Edna Frances Patricia Nagle (1899-1983)
The Nagle family farmed John's fathers land at Range 1 North, Lot 19 Caradoc Township. The Nagles and Clarks were instrumental in establishing Caradoc School Section #3. In around 1910, the Nagles moved to a newly constructed house at 188 Broughdale Street in Broughdale, Ontario - now an area of London surrounding the University of Western Ontario campus. The family was active at St. Luke's Anglican Church, now on Richmond Street in London.
Edna Nagle, later going by her middle name Patricia, attended London Normal School in 1919, and married Charles Hignell sometime in the 1920s. The Hignells moved to Welland, Ontario. Gordon Nagle served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in England during World War I, and was discharged in 1919. Ada Nagle never married, and she remained in Broughdale until her death in 1968.
John Nagle died in 1925, and his wife Emma died in 1945; John, Emma, and two of their children (Ada and Gordon) are buried at Oakland Cemetery in Delaware Township, Ontario.
Interestingly, an unrelated neighbour in Caradoc Township was also named Thomas Nagle, and one of his sons married Ann, the oldest daughter of Joseph and Thurza Clark. These two separate Nagle lineages were only related by marriage, and some correspondence included in this fonds is sent by these other Nagle cousins.
John Nagle, the son of Irish immigrants Thomas and Mary (née Bennett) Nagle, was born on May 22, 1855 in Ontario, Canada. John married Emma Clark (born 1860), youngest daughter of Joseph and Thurza (née Mines) Clark on October 22, 1884. John and Emma Nagle had five children:
Norman Russell Nagle (b. 1887)
Ada May Nagle (1889-1968)
Gordon Ivon Nagle (1891-1975)
Leslie Maurice Nagle (1893-1925)
Edna Frances Patricia Nagle (1899-1983)
The Nagle family farmed John's fathers land at Range 1 North, Lot 19 Caradoc Township. The Nagles and Clarks were instrumental in establishing Caradoc School Section #3. In around 1910, the Nagles moved to a newly constructed house at 188 Broughdale Street in Broughdale, Ontario - now an area of London surrounding the University of Western Ontario campus. The family was active at St. Luke's Anglican Church, now on Richmond Street in London.
Edna Nagle, later going by her middle name Patricia, attended London Normal School in 1919, and married Charles Hignell sometime in the 1920s. The Hignells moved to Welland, Ontario. Gordon Nagle served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in England during World War I, and was discharged in 1919. Ada Nagle never married, and she remained in Broughdale until her death in 1968.
John Nagle died in 1925, and his wife Emma died in 1945; John, Emma, and two of their children (Ada and Gordon) are buried at Oakland Cemetery in Delaware Township, Ontario.
Interestingly, an unrelated neighbour in Caradoc Township was also named Thomas Nagle, and one of his sons married Ann, the oldest daughter of Joseph and Thurza Clark. These two separate Nagle lineages were only related by marriage, and some correspondence included in this fonds is sent by these other Nagle cousins.
The Vidal family descends from Spanish and French origins. The family settled in London England in 1685. Emeric Vidal, a British Royal Navy Captain, lived from 1751-1811 and resided in Bracknell, Berkshire England for the entirety of his life. He married in 1783 to Jane Essex and they had 4 children together named Emma Vidal (1783-1844), Captain Richard Emeric Vidal (1789-1854), Emeric Essex Vidal (1791-1861) and Vice-Admiral Alexander Thomas Emeric Vidal (1792-1863). Like their father, all three brothers entered the Royal Navy and became officers in active service.
Captain Richard Emeric Vidal was a Naval Officer who voyaged around the world and kept detailed and thorough diaries throughout his years at sea. After retiring from the navy in the 1830’s, he emigrated from Bracknell, England to Sarnia, Ontario (then called ‘Les Chutes’ or ‘The Rapids’) in 1834. With him he brought his wife, Charlotte Penrose Mitton (1789-1873) and four children, including son Alexander Vidal (1819-1906). However, there was a fifth child who died before the family immigrated. They had one more child after moving to Canada. Captain Richard Emeric Vidal was among the first pioneers of Sarnia and was active in changing the name of the town from The Rapids to Port Sarnia.
Alexander Vidal was 15 when he moved to Sarnia with his father Richard Emeric Vidal and family. He went on to be an important figurehead in the Sarnia community, having experience being a surveyor, a banker, and a politician. Alexander Vidal eventually became a conservative member of the Senate of Canada for the Sarnia division from 1873-1906. He married Catherine Wright (daughter of Captain William Wright) and they had seven children together.
One of those was Charlotte Vidal Nisbet (1855-1948), or ‘Chattie’ as her friends and relatives often called her, who would become a local Sarnia historian and author. Her husband, Thomas Nisbet was the originator of the Boy’s Brigade in Sarnia. Charlotte Nisbet provided weekly contributions to "The Sarnia Canadian Observer" starting in 1935. Her columns were based on daily happenings for the corresponding days one hundred years before which she extracted from her grandfather’s and other family member’s diaries and letters.
Helen Lucile Hayman: Early Life
Lucile was born on July 23, 1910 in Notre Dame du Portage, Québec, to Pansy Marion (Prince) Hayman and Edward Clarence Hayman. Lucile was born at her grandparents’ summer home during her parents’ summer vacation. The family resided in London, Ontario, and Lucile remained a resident of London for the rest of her life. Lucile had one younger sibling, Doris Irene (Spence).
Lucile attended elementary (Rectory Street) and secondary school (Central Collegiate) in London. She graduated from the University of Western Ontario (UWO) with a Bachelor of Arts (secretarial science) in 1931. Following her graduation, and until her marriage the following year, Lucile worked as the secretary for the Biology and Geology Departments in the UWO Faculty of Science. She also did work for WOSSA while at UWO.
William Cole Platt Baldwin: Early Life
William (Will, later Bill) was born on September 22, 1908 in Holyoke, Massachusetts, to William Cole Platt Baldwin and Sibyl Maria (Smith) Baldwin. The family lived in Holyoke until 1913 when they moved to London. W.C.P. Baldwin Sr. had a garment manufacturing business in Holyoke, and had begun to set up a similar business in London several years before the move. Bill resided in London for the rest of his life. He had one younger sibling, Bentley Ivan.
After moving to London, Bill attended elementary (Lord Roberts) and secondary school (Central Collegiate) in London. He attended UWO for one year. He was then needed by his father to work in the family businesses; in 1928 Bill started full-time work for Baldwin Garment Company, Canada Rug Company and London (later Baldwin) Coat and Apron Supply.
Lucile and Bill Baldwin: Marriage and Later Life
Lucile and Bill were married at Cronyn Memorial Anglican Church on September 8, 1932. Marrying during the depression, with World War II starting not many years later, they dealt together with both personal and the more general challenges of the times. They lived in a number of homes, in south and north London. In 1952, they moved to 1111 The Parkway, and owned that house for the rest of their lives. They had five children all of whom graduated from UWO.
Lucile played a major role in the family’s life as the homemaker as well as partner in decision-making. She provided much support and acted as a source of ideas and sounding board for Bill in his many endeavours. Lucile is the one who kept the account books, until the last few years of their lives, when her health prevented her from doing so. She was known for her talent in mathematics and accounting; keeping the books came naturally. She was involved with the Anglican Church, the Red Cross, and the IODE.
Bill spent his career working at the family businesses, at various times with his father, his brother, on his own, and with his son. Baldwin Coat and Apron was sold in 1959. Bill continued at Baldwin Garments until his retirement in 1978. He became a very proud Canadian, receiving his Certificate of Naturalization on May 28, 1940. During World War II, he served in the army reserves.
In the late 1930s, Bill’s father and mother bought land adjacent to UWO, on both sides of the Thames River. Following the deaths of William Sr. and Sibyl Baldwin in the early 1950s, Bill and his brother Ben transferred the “flats” (floodplain) portions of these lands to UWO. They are now known as the Baldwin and Huron Flats; the present stadium sits on the Huron Flats.
Bill served on boards or committees for many organizations, including the Anglican Church, the Boy Scouts, two school boards, the Chamber of Commerce, the Western Fair, and War Memorial Children’s Hospital. He was a member of the Executive Board of Huron College. At UWO, he was a member of the Municipal Government Committee, then of the Board of Governors, eventually becoming its Chair, and then the UWO Foundation. Bill received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from UWO in 1978.
Lucile died on July 18, 1998 in London and Bill died on November 29, 1998 in London.
Biographical sketch was provided by the Baldwin family.
George F. Metcalfe was born in 1858 in Ohio, United States to English immigrants, Jabez (Jabus) and Eliza Metcalfe. He had several siblings. He moved to London, Ontario and married Letitia Ann Walker in 1882. They lived at 529 South Street and belonged to the Church of England. Metcalfe worked in cabinetry.
He was also involved with the 8th Boy Scouts Troop in London, Ontario. Metcalfe joined the troop on December 1, 1910, the same day it was officially formed. The 8th Troop originally comprised only of boys from Dundas Street United Church but later became non-denominational and included boys from across London. Metcalfe was appointed Assistant Scoutsmaster in 1910, but was not sworn in until November, 1911.
Patrick Family
Smallman Family