Subfonds SF3 - Aged People's Home

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Aged People's Home

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Parallel titles and other title information: Aged Men’s Home, Aged Women’s Home

Level of description

Subfonds

Reference code

AFC270-SF3

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1960 (Creation)
    Creator
    Aged People’s Home
    Place
    London, Ontario

Physical description area

Physical description

14 cm of textual material
2 microfiche
3 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1886-1928)

Biographical history

In 1886, funding was received to open a home for aged women at 335 King Street with help from Mr. McCormick, Mr. Glass, and Mr. Jeffery. Two years later, the YMCA Ladies Auxiliary petitioned to join the WCA so that the Old Men’s Home that they ran on John Street could come under Association Management. In 1893, Thomas McCormick gifted the WCA a brand-new house at 1050 Richmond Street, and the men and women who occupied the homes on King Street and John Street were quickly moved into the new building. This new building was deemed the Aged People’s Home. A second, smaller location was purchased on Victoria Street in 1913 to house additional women who could not be accommodated on Richmond Street.

In the mid-1920s, references to the Aged People’s Home alternate with the title of McCormick’s House, or McCormick Home. Renovations completed between 1926-1928, confirmed this change in name.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The sous-fonds consists of records related to the Aged People’s Home, including the original Aged Men’s Home and Aged Women’s Home. Materials include resident registers, accounts book, and photographs of the home during the name-changing process.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The sous-fonds has been arranged into the following series:
AFC 270-SF3-S1 Financial
AFC 270-SF3-S2 Patients & Residents
AFC 270-SF3-S3 Photographs

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Access and reproductions of fragile material, personal and medical records in this sous-fonds may be restricted. Requests for access must be made by submitting a Research Access Request, and may require consultation with the archivist and the signing of a formal research agreement.

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area