Fonds AFC131 - Ermatinger Family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ermatinger Family fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    AFC131

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1816-1870, [ca. 1890]-1921, 1967 (Creation)
      Creator
      Ermatinger, Charles Oakes

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    56 cm of textual records; 1 photograph; 8 photocopied photographs

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    Charles Oakes Ermatinger (variously written Charles O.Z. Ermatinger and Charles Oaks Ermatinger) was born on February 5, 1851 in St. Thomas, Ontario. The youngest child of Edward and Achsah (née Burnham) Ermatinger, Charles was educated in St. Thomas and at Galt Grammar School. After articling with H.F. Ellis and D.B. Read, Charles Ermatinger was called to the bar in 1873. He practiced law in St. Thomas, and from 1883 to 1886 represented East Elgin as a Member of Provincial Parliament. A member of the Conservative Party, Ermatinger ran unsuccessfully in the riding of East Elgin during the 1887 federal election.

    Charles Ermatinger was named Queen's Counsel in 1885, and appointed Junior Judge for Elgin County in January, 1890. Borrowing from his father's earlier history of the Talbot Settlement, Charles wrote The Talbot regime: or, the first half-century of the Talbot Settlement, published in 1904. He also served as Elgin County Historical Society president and wrote many short articles on Canadian history.

    In 1873, Charles Oakes Ermatinger married Charlotte (née Richardson) Dickson, daughter of Judge Hugh Richardson, justice of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories. Charles and Charlotte had two children:
    Blanche Muriel Ermatinger (b. 1875)
    Charles Percy Ermatinger (b. 1879)

    Charles Oakes Ermatinger died on December 16, 1921; his wife Charlotte died in January, 1916. Charles and Charlotte Ermatinger are buried at the Old St. Thomas Church (Anglican) in St. Thomas, Ontario.

    Name of creator

    (1797-1876)

    Biographical history

    Edward Ermatinger was born on the island of Elba, just off the coast of Italy, in February, 1797. The eldest son of Lawrence Edward Ermatinger, an assistant commissary general in the British army, Edward was raised in England along with his brother Francis (born 1798). According to Edward's autobiography, his father was often absent; Edward and Francis were well-educated, if sometimes ill treated by their caregivers.

    Edward's grandfather, Lawrence Ermatinger, had immigrated to Montreal from Switzerland in the mid-1760s, and much of the family still resided in North America. Edward's uncle Frederick Ermatinger was Sheriff of Montreal, and his other uncle Charles Oakes Ermatinger was a prominent fur trader with the Hudson's Bay Company. Lawrence Edward Ermatinger arranged for his sons' employment as clerks with the Hudson's Bay Company, and Edward and Francis sailed from London in 1818 aboard the ship Prince of Wales.

    Edward and Francis arrived at York Factory on August 14, 1818. Although Edward had initially signed a five year contract, he remained in the Hudson's Bay Company's employ until 1828. He worked at various sites in present-day Manitoba, including York Factory, Island Lake, Oxford House, and Red River; his travels took him as far west as Fort Vancouver, in the present-day state of Oregon. In 1828, Edward Ermatinger went back to England, returning to Canada the following year. He lived in Montreal for one year before choosing to settle in St. Thomas, Ontario in 1830.

    In St. Thomas, Ermatinger opened a general store and managed the Bank of Upper Canada, the Commercial Bank, and the Bank of Montreal successively. Afterwards, he helped establish the Bank of the County of Elgin, where he was its president. He also served at St. Thomas' postmaster from 1842 to 1876. In 1844, Edward Ermatinger was elected a Conservative member of the Legislative Assembly for the County of Middlesex, which at the time also included the County of Elgin. He was defeated in the election of 1847.

    Edward Ermatinger established the St. Thomas Standard, the first newspaper in the community, in 1844. He also wrote numerous letters to the editors of other local newspapers on religious and political topics, and was a weekly columnist for the Hamilton Spectator newspaper. Ermatinger produced short stories, poems, diaries, and a book entitled The Life of Colonel Talbot and the Talbot Settlement, originally published in 1859.

    Edward Ermatinger was a devout member of the Church of England, and choir director of the St. Thomas Church choir. He married Achsah Burnham (born 1809), daughter of judge Zaccheus Burnham of Cobourg, Ontario. Edward and Achsah had seven children:
    Frances Elizabeth Ermatinger (1834-1857)
    Lawrence Edward Ermatinger (1836-1837)
    Maria Ermatinger Baldwin (1840-1863)
    Annie Jemima Ermatinger (1843-1917)
    Frederick William Ermatinger (1845-1845)
    Francis Edward Ermatinger (1847-1892)
    Charles Oakes Ermatinger (1851-1921)

    Edward Ermatinger died on October 29, 1876. Achsah died on March 1, 1881. Edward and Achsah Ermatinger are buried in the churchyard of the Old St. Thomas Church (Anglican) in St. Thomas, Ontario.

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    The Ermatinger family is well-known in the history of pre-Confederation Canada; members of several generations of the Ermatinger family were involved with the fur trade, and others achieved notoriety as politicians, lawyers, and public servants.

    The first Ermatinger known to have settled in North America was Lawrence Ermatinger (b. ca. 1736 in Schaffhausen, Switzerland), a merchant who settled in Montreal in the early 1760s. Ermatinger supplied goods to North American and British buyers, including fur traders and the British army. Lawrence Ermatinger married Jemima Oakes and had eight children.

    Two of the Ermatinger sons were particularly prominent in North America. Frederick William Ermatinger (1769-1827) served as Sheriff of Montreal and was one of the Bank of Montreal's first directors. Charles Oakes Ermatinger (1776-1833) was a fur trader, initially working for the North West Company and then independently. Another Ermatinger son, Lawrence Edward Ermatinger, moved from Montreal to Italy, Spain, and England. Lawrence Edward Ermatinger is the father of Edward and Francis Ermatinger, brothers who came to North America as clerks for the Hudson's Bay Company.

    Records from many members of the Ermatinger family survive in libraries and archives throughout Canada. The Ermatinger Old Stone House in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (built 1814) and the Francis Ermatinger House in Oregon City, Oregon (built 1845) are today museums dedicated to providing insight into North American pioneer life.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    This fonds contains documents created and collected by Edward Ermatinger and his son Charles Oakes Ermatinger of St. Thomas, Ontario.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    The majority of the documents were donated to the University of Western Ontario in April, 1947 by Mrs. Percy Ermatinger, daughter-in-law of Judge Charles Oakes Ermatinger. Other materials such as photocopies, family history notes, and newspaper clippings were donated by Gladys McNeice of Sault Ste. Marie in 1967.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        A copy on microfiche is available.

        Restrictions on access

        Access is restricted to microfiche copies when available.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        File and item lists are available.

        Associated materials

        • Please see finding aid for full list
        • Please see finding aid for full list

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Approved

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area