Fonds AFC56 - William Porte Family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

William Porte Family fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    AFC56

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1862-1898; added material 1936-1937 (Creation)
      Creator
      Porte, William

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    30 cm textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1823-1899)

    Biographical history

    William Porte, the eldest son of James and Mary (née Patrick) Porte, was born December 19, 1823 at Mount Heaton, near Roscrae in King's County, Ireland. After his mother's death in 1832, William and his father immigrated to Canada, landing at Culbertson's Wharf (now Desoronto, Ontario) on August 8, 1837. Having spent several years in the Belleville, Ontario area, the family built a log home on lot 4 of the North Proof Line road (now Richmond Street) at the north edge of Lucan (then known as Marystown) in Biddulph Township, Middlesex County.

    After farming for several years, Porte was selected in 1843 as the teacher at the area's first school, the building having been recently vacated by the Society of Friends' Wilberforce Settlement. In 1845, Porte returned to Belleville and married Catherine Murphy (b. 1 Nov. 1835) on October 22, 1851. Returning to Lucan in 1856, William and Catherine purchased land at the intersection of what is now William and Main Street. That year, Porte succeeded his father as township clerk, and he was appointed Lucan's first postmaster in 1859 - a position he would hold for almost 40 years.

    Porte was, politically, a dedicated Conservative, an adherent of the Church of England, and a charter member of the Freemasonic Irving Lodge #154. He helped form Lucan's Mechanic's Institute and was appointed to select Lucan's first library book collection. According to local lore, Porte was one of the three 'Williams' after which Lucan's William Street was named, and Alice Street was named after his daughter.

    During their 48 years of marriage, William and Catherine had nine children: George Allan (b. 27 Aug. 1852, d. 1 Aug. 1887), James Royal (b. 26 Dec. 1857, d. 4 Mar. 1858), Mary Alice (b. 15 Feb. 1860, d. 1952), Elizabeth Emma (b. 12 Jan. 1862, d. 1945), Frederick William (b. 8 July 1865, d. 1943), Maude (b. 28 Mar. 1867), Ida Kate (b. 22 May 1869, d. 28 Mar. 1871), Ida Kate (b. 21 Mar. 1871, d. 1968), Ernest Arthur (b. 16 Feb. 1873, d. 1906).

    William Porte died at home in the early hours of September 12, 1899, his wife having predeceased him by exactly three months. He, along with most of his family, now rests at the St. James Anglican churchyard near Clandeboye, Ontario. After Porte's death, his son Frederick carried on as Lucan's postmaster; after Frederick's 46 years of service, Porte's daughter, Ida Kate, succeeded her brother as postmistress. Upon her retirement in 1946, Ida Kate reminisced that her father 'had us help in the post office where we sorted mail after school. He was very strict. He would not allow us to open even the family's mail, not even the newspapers.'

    Name of creator

    (1871-1968)

    Biographical history

    Name of creator

    (1865-1943)

    Biographical history

    Custodial history

    The fonds appear to have remained in the Porte family until its donation to the University of Western Ontario in 1976. The papers seem to have been passed to Mrs. Maude (Porte) Bawden and then to her daughter, Ms. Katherine M. Bawden, although the exact custodial history is unknown.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consist of materials related to the personal and business activities of William Porte. Included are diaries, ledgers, and albums and scrapbooks of newspaper clippings. Some material from two of his children (Fred W. and Ida Kate Porte) is included.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Donated by Katherine M. Bawden in 1976.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        No restrictions on access.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        File and item lists are available.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        General note

        Complete transcripts of William Porte's diaries have been made by G. Stott, and publlished in 'Passing into oblivion' : the diaries of William Porte, Lucan, Ontario, 1864-1898 / edited by Glenn Stott, Greg Stott. Arkona Ont. : Anokra Press, c2009. xviii, 586 p. : ill., maps, ports. ; 28 cm.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Approved

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area